- At the Convent of Jesus and Mary Catholic Infant School and Nursery “Music is a universal language that embodies one of the highest forms of creativity” (NC 2014).
- Our music curriculum engages and inspires our pupils to develop a love of music and explore their talent as musicians. This helps to increase their self-confidence, creativity and sense of achievement.
- We are committed to ensuring children understand the value and importance of music in the wider community and British culture and are able to use their musical skills, knowledge, and experiences to involve themselves in music in a variety of different contexts such as performing in assemblies, mass, and in other schools.
These skills primarily support the development of the children’s voice as an instrument and help them to retain core knowledge of traditional songs and hymns from various cultures. This helps to develop their understanding of the musical world they live in.
- All pupils complete a weekly music lesson in addition to singing at weekly assembly;
- It is also expected that key pieces of music and songs to be learnt will be spread throughout the teaching week in preparation for celebrations such as Harvest, All Saints Mass, Carol Service and St Claudine Mass.
- To ensure that teachers have sufficient subject knowledge, the school uses the Music Express programme. This enables planned lesson based on pitch, beat, exploring sound and performance.
- Whilst in school, children have access to a varied program through Music Express which allows them to discover areas of strength, as well as areas they might like to improve upon. The children are assessed by specialised music teacher and through choir auditions.
- These key assessment points will be reviewed through the academic year as the music curriculum evolves.